We’re all familiar with the idea that “celebrities are people too” and “they’re just like us.” Although it’s hard to imagine a famous movie or rock star grocery shopping or scrubbing toilets, there is one thing that many of us have in common: a love for animals.
Celebrities and their pets have long been a source of fascination for the American public. Here at Vaughn Road Veterinary Hospital, we’re just as curious as anyone else about the lives of these famous animals. Whether they have exotics, dogs or cats, or own a veritable zoo of animals, these famous folks share with us the deeply rewarding experience that is the human-animal bond.
Celebrities and Their Pets
Celebrities love to pamper their furry family members, and some have so many pets that it’s hard for us to imagine what it takes to care for them all. Check out these well-known celebrities and their pets:
- Paris Hilton – The socialite reportedly owns 35 pets, including dogs, cats, pigs, ferrets, and a pony.
- Miley Cyrus – This animal lover keeps a variety of dogs, as well as a pet pig named “Pig.”
- Mariah Carey – At one time, the famous singer had eight Jack Russell terriers.
- Oprah Winfrey – At last count, this mega-famous dog lover had five golden retrievers, two springer spaniels, and a cocker spaniel.
- Channing Tatum – This movie star is the proud owner of a rescue horse and a rescue pit bull.
- Robert Downey, Jr. – Two cats, two horses, and a plethora of goats and pigs make up this actor’s menagerie.
- Tori Spelling – In addition to her many children, Spelling also has a beloved pig and chicken.
- Taylor Swift – This famous cat lady regularly shares photos of her two Scottish Fold cats on social media.
Beyond Fido and Fluffy
Although many famous folks stick with traditional pets, there are plenty who branch out to the world of exotic animals:
- In 2010, wildlife activist and superstar Leonardo DiCaprio famously treated himself to a pet African Spurred Tortoise (at the cost of $400).
- Kirstie Alley is perhaps the most well-known “lemur lover” in the world. It’s claimed that she employs full-time wildlife caretakers for her 14 ring-tailed lemurs. She reportedly once tricked airport security into thinking one of her pet lemurs was actually a cat.
- Kristen Stewart of “Twilight” fame unironically owns several wolf-dog hybrids, which she refers to as her “companions.”
- Guns N’ Roses lead guitarist Slash has such a deep affinity for reptiles that he helped wildlife expert Bob Irwin launch the Bob Irwin Conservation Foundation.
Days of Yore
Famous pets are by no means a modern phenomenon. For as long as there have been celebrities, we’ve been curious about their pets. From Egyptian pharaohs to American presidents, celebrities and their pets remain a beloved part of world history and culture.