Pet Health &
Wellness Care for Dogs
The dog has been our best friend and guardian throughout history, an engaging companion for man and woman alike. Vaughn Road Veterinary Clinic is devoted to supporting wellness and long life in dogs, creating positive bonds between you and your canine companion. Our wellness plans are tailored to the unique needs of your dog, to protect against disease and promote vigor through all life stages.
Canine Health & Wellness Care
The routine wellness examination may be the most important aspect of pet care. For optimum wellness, we recommend twice annual veterinary exams for healthy adult dogs. For senior pets and those suffering from chronic illness or compromised immune systems, more frequent exams may be needed.
The canine wellness visit provides an opportunity for a thorough veterinary exam, identifying medical issues early before they can develop. The visit helps the vet to become familiar with your dog and your family’s lifestyle. This allows us to understand your needs and make appropriate decisions regarding your pet’s care. This special time with your veterinarian allows for discussion and an opportunity to address any concerns or questions.
At the Wellness Exam
The canine wellness exam incudes various elements that enhance health:
- Vaccinations—Vaccines eliminate or reduce dangerous diseases for long term health. The canine vaccine schedule is tailored to your dog’s age, lifestyle, and health history. Every effort is made to move toward a triennial vaccine interval as your pet ages.
- Parasite Prevention—Fleas and ticks, heartworms and other intestinal parasites. These pests can negatively impact your dog’s health, or even affect the members of your family. Effective parasite preventives are recommended, personalized to meet your pet’s needs.
- Wellness screening—Pet health screenings provide valuable information regarding your dog’s overall condition. Laboratory blood tests and health screenings provide important information regarding early signs of disease in your pet. These tests help establishing a health baseline, a source of reference should your dog become ill.
- Spay or neuter services—We recommend spaying or neutering your pet to enhance health and longevity. Intact dogs are inclined to roam, risking a car accident or becoming lost. This simple surgical procedure greatly decreases the risk of various cancers, an enlarged prostate gland, and life-threatening uterine infections in senior dogs. In some cases, the minimally invasive laparoscopic methods are most appropriate.
- Dental care—The most common veterinary problems in dogs stem from dental disease. This serious source of disease leads to systemic infections, offensive breath, and major illnesses such as heart or kidney disease.
- Pet nutrition—Proper nutrition is the cornerstone of health in pets. Our veterinarian assesses your dog’s dietary needs and recommends a personalized nutritional plan for your pet.
Learn what to expect from your pet wellness exams.